Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Another "Holy Cow" moment....and a random rant

Justin has always had this thing with milk expiration dates. Sounds odd, so let me explain. He says you can always tell that an event (i.e. your birthday, a vacation, a holiday, etc.) is getting close when your milk expires after the event. Well, we aren't quite to milk expiration dates yet, but the yogurt I ate this morning expired on my due date. It put things in a whole different context. Holy Cow.

Now for the random rant....It's amazing to me how nosy strangers can be when you're pregnant. This goes beyond the random belly touching which could be the subject of another rant but was at least expected. It's amazing when strangers ask questions that are rather personal. For example, I can't even tell you the number of people who have asked whether I plan to breast feed (at least they're all women so far, that's a positive) . My gut response is "My boobs are none of your business!" It's one thing for a friend or family member to ask and discuss. I have absolutely no problem with that. In fact, I've asked several of you the same questions. It's a whole other thing for a strange woman in the elevator to ask. Not ok.

Another example (and the one that sparked this rant)...As most of you know, we aren't telling ANYONE what our girl's name is. Not our parents, not our friends, not our co-workers. There are a lot of reasons why, so I won't go into them now. However, it's shocking to me how many strangers not only ask what names we have in mind (as if they really care what I name my baby), but persist in knowing the names after I tell them that we aren't sharing that information. Do they really think that I won't tell my mom but I'll tell opposing counsel or a random lady in the elevator (as you can see, I get cornered in elevators a lot)? Goodness gracious people.

As such, my advice, if you want to make small talk with a pregnant woman, ask how she's feeling..ask how far along she is...ask if the baby is moving. Don't ask names. Don't ask about specific private parts. And whatever you do, DON'T ASK HOW MUCH WEIGHT SHE'S GAINED!!! That is never, ever ok...and yes, it's happened....twice.

No comments: