All my life I've heard women say you forget the pain of child birth. That it's so bad, your mind just blocks it out. I suppose I thought it was true....otherwise why would women have more than one baby. But deep down I never really thought it was possible until this morning.
On the elevator this morning I found myself in deep thought. I was thinking about how great it is that I feel so great. I honestly wouldn't know I was pregnant except for the baby bump and the baby kicks. I'm not tired. I'm not naseaus. I can work out. My coat still fits. It's all great. That's when the delusion began. I actually found myself thinking I was lucky to have been as sick as I was. (WHAT????)
My reasoning was three fold: (1) at least I knew I was pregnant/i.e. at least I knew the baby was doing alright. Since I haven't been pregnant before and since I certainly haven't been pregnant without morning sickness, I can only imagine what it must feel like to KNOW you're pregant, but not FEEL pregant. In a way, the sickness was reassuring. (2) since I FELT pregnant, it gave me more time to fully grasp the idea of BEING pregnant. Knowing myself, I'm sure that if I felt normal the whole time I would probably forget I was pregnant from time to time. Vomiting certainly reminds you. Having it on your mind all day everyday forces you to acknowledge the reality. That can be a good thing sometimes. (3) its made me appreciate feeling normal. I was sick to my stomach for over 10 weeks. It blew (literally and figuratively). It was so long that sickness started to feel normal. Now that there isn't any sickness, I feel better than normal. And all of the little annoyances of second trimester pregnancy don't really bother me in comparison.
What exactly does all of this have to do with forgetting the pain of childbirth, you ask? Well, in a lot of ways, I've already forgotten the crappiness of morning sickness....and its only been a month. Don't get me wrong, I don't miss it. I don't want it again. But, all of a sudden it doesn't seem like it was that bad. I think I'm starting to get a glimps at what God/nature does to women's minds to trick them into having more than one child.
I'm sure by posting this I'm jinxing myself and I'm going to start feeling like crap again. Oh well....too late.
Stay warm out there!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I believe I told Sam after the triplets were born that "it is a good thing we had 3 at once, b/c I am never doing this again". But, it is hard to really remember the pain once you have recovered. I hope you do not have to have a c-section.
Also, I looked at your ultrasound video and you can not tell the sex (at least in the video portion). I do consider myself an expert in this field, since I had 42 (really) ultrasound and I know what both boy and girl parts look like on ultrasound.
P.S. Justin I don't think the testicals decend until like 30 weeks gestation... so I doubt you saw balls.
Post a Comment