Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Further explanation...and a medical update

Lest anyone think that I am a complete headcase, I wanted to explain why we were at the hospital unnecessarily on Friday night. While I do not yet know what labor feels like, I knew I was not in labor on Friday. But, I thought my water might have broken.

A few weeks ago, I tested positive for the Strep B bacteria. I'm not exactly sure what it is and no one seems to know exactly how you get it, just that over 30% of women have it. At all times in your life it's completely irrelevant, except of course when you give birth. It can be very dangerous to newborn babies. The baby is protected from the bacteria by the bag of waters. But, once the bag breaks, the baby can get infected. My doctor told me that, once my water breaks, I have about 2 hours to get to the hospital and be put on IV antibiotics. The antibiotics will supress the bacteria and drastically reduce the chances of infection for the baby. Hence my rush to the hospital on Friday even though I knew I wasn't in labor. Better safe than sorry.

So, I might be a head case about a lot of things....just not about knowing when I'm in labor.

As for my health, I went for a follow up OB appointment today. I've continued to lose weight, which is really good because it means that my water weight continues to reduce. My feet/ankles finally look normal. My hands are not quite there, but that should correct itself post-birth. My blood pressure is still elevated, but I haven't experienced any of the other symptoms of pre-eclampsia (i.e. headaches, vision changes and liver pain). So, I didn't even have to give blood this week! That being said, I'm still on modified bedrest. My doctor will only let me work a few hours a day. The rest of the time needs to be on the couch or in bed. It will be this way until the berry joins us....any day now....

No comments: